Monday, September 29, 2008

Steelers Look Good in Their 1st Preseason Game

The Steelers first preseason game was against the Eagles on August 8th, 2008 at Heinz Field. I have been waiting patiently for this game so that I could see our rookie draft picks in action. I was pleased with the Steelers draft but now I want to see Mendenhall, Sweed, and Dixon in action. The 1st series for our offense and defense would be good tests because the Eagles are good on both sides of the ball.

Big Ben came out and executed a nice looking 80-yard drive that ended with a 19-yard td pass to Santonio Holmes. That first drive had me on the edge of my seat and it felt like it was a regular game! It was great to sell Willie Parker running the ball again. I was not pleased with the defense letting McNabb drive 70 yards for a field goal and later 65 yards for a td. I want to see our defense shutting down teams so our running game can take control of games.

I know it's only the 1st preseason game but man I am jacked up about Rashard Mendenhall. At 5'11 224 pounds, he is a mack truck that will help soften up defenses. The Steelers could be dangerous with the duo of Parker and Mendenall. Limas Sweed also played well and I was impressed with his 1st catch over the middle. With good hands and 6'5, Sweed should be a big impact player on offense. With the unfortunte injury to Charlie Batch, the drafting of Dixon in even more important. Dixon has a good arm and he can run. I'd like to see the Steelers design some offensive plays where Dixon comes in as QB and maybe even wr!

No comments: